Personally, I prefer veg-heavy meals so summer is my favorite because there are a ton of tasty greens in season. Craving a dish with asparagus and peas, I went to the Internet searching for a light meal that would be hearty but light for summer.
In the end, Tomas and I decided that since we were having Angie and Sierra over for a TTK family meal, we wanted something flavorful but simple and this dish is the perfect fix.
How to make this delicious dish
- Roast some tiny potatoes in the oven with oil, salt, and thyme
- Caramelize chopped leeks and fennel on low heat for roughly ten minutes
- Zest 2-3 lemons
- Prep your peas and asparagus (chop, peel, shell,or de-string per your preference)
- Brown some bone-in chicken thighs skin side down until they are golden delicious
- Deglaze your chicken pan with dry white wine wine
- Add lemon juice, your zest, leeks and fennel and some stock to braise your chicken until the internal temp hits 170 degrees
- Saute your peas and asparagus when there’s five or so minutes left on your chicken. You can use the same pan that you caramelized your vegetables in earlier.
- Plate everything together with some fresh dill on top
This really was a lovely combination of flavors. Though it looks simple, this recipe was a favorite among the team. The chicken thighs made it rich and filling without being heavy. The lemon brightened up the vegetables and cut through the fat of the dish. It tasted vinegary and almost mustardy despite the fact that it had neither of those ingredients in it. Overall, just a delightful meal to share with friends and family.
We hope you enjoy it as much as we did!